Chinese Noodles in Peanut Sauce
4 bowls (4 servings)
1 pound/500 grams Hakka noodles
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
Garnish: 1 carrot (peeled, julienned)
Garnish: 1/2 firm medium cucumber (peeled, seeded, and julienned)
Garnish: 1/2 cup roasted peanuts (coarsely chopped)
Garnish: 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
For the Dressing:
6 tablespoons peanut butter
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons light soya sauce
6 tablespoons dark soy sauce
6 tablespoons sesame paste (ground sesame seeds)
1/2 cup dark sesame oil
2 tablespoons sherry (or any wine of your choice)
4 teaspoons white vinegar
1/4 cup honey (or sugar syrup)
4 medium cloves garlic (chopped fine)
2 teaspoons ginger (fresh and finely chopped)
1/2 cup water (hot)
Steps to Make It
1. Gather the ingredients.
2. Boil noodles in large pot of unsalted water over medium heat until barely tender and
still firm. Drain immediately and rinse with cold water until cold.
3. Drain well and toss noodles with (2 tbsp) dark sesame oil so they don't stick together.
4. For the dressing, combine all ingredients except hot water in a blender or food
processor fitted with steel blade and blend until smooth. Thin with hot water to the
consistency of whipping cream.
5. For garnish, put carrot julienne in ice water for 30 minutes.
6. Just before serving, toss noodles with sauce. Garnish with cucumber, peanuts, green
onion, and carrot.
7. Serve at room temperature.